- 1994–1998 Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in München, Germany, Physics, Ph.D.,(“Dr. rer. nat.”), A. Schenzle
- 1988–1994 University of Stuttgart, Germany, Physics, Diplom, U. Weiss
- 2010–present Harvard University, Physics, Senior Research Fellow
- 2013–present University of Connecticut, Physics, Professor
- 2008–2013 University of Connecticut, Physics, Associate Professor
- 2008–2010 Associate Department Head for Administration
- 2006–present Honors Advisor at UConn
- 2002–present Institute for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Research Affiliate
- 2002–2008 University of Connecticut, Physics, Assistant Professor
- 1999–2001 Solid State Scientific Corporation, Hollis, NH, Researcher,
- 1999–2002 Institute for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Postdoctoral Fellow
- 1998–1999 Research Laboratory of Electronics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Postdoctoral Fellow
- 1994–1998 Texas A&M Univ., Physics, Research Assistant, M. O. Scully
- Summers 94–97 Visiting Scientist at the Max-Planck-Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany
- 01/95–05/95 Visiting Scientist at the Optical Sciences Center in Tucson, Arizona
Fellowships and Honors
- 2012/13 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics (to be awarded January 2013)
- 2009 CT Women of Innovation, Finalist
- 2008 Physical Review/Physical Review Letters: Outstanding Referee
- 1999–2000 Feodor Lynen Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation
- 1997–1998 Doctoral Fellowship from the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes (German Scholarship Foundation)
- 1996 Student presentation award at the Texas section meeting of the American Physical Society at Lubbock.
- 1994–1996 Fellowship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 1991–1995 Fellowship from Studienstiftung
Other professional experience
- 2013 Organizer of 10-week polar molecule workshop at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara, CA.
- 2011 Co-Organizer of Topical Group workshop on Fundamental Science with Ultracold Molecules, Institute for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (ITAMP)
- 2010–present Principal Investigator of the MIT/Harvard Center for Ultracold Atoms (CUA)
- 2009-2011 Member, Editorial Board, Physical Review A.
- 01–07/2009 Visiting Professor at the Max-Planck-Institute for Quantum Optics in Munich, Germany.
- Since 2009 Program committee for DAMOP (Division of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics of the American Physics Society)
- 2008 Organizing committee, International Conference on Atomic Physics, Storrs, CT.
- 08/2005 Organizer, Workshop on quantum information with molecules, Washington, DC.
- Since 1996 Regular referee for Physical Review, Physical Review Letters, Physics Letters, and others.
- 1996 Organizer of a student conference at Dallas, TX.
- 1993–1994 Lectured, conducted recitations, and graded courses in quantum mechanics.
- 1993 Internship with McKinsey & Co. in Düsseldorf, Germany
- 1987–1988 Max-Planck-Institute, Stuttgart, software development
- 1988 Max-Planck-Institut für Psychiatrie, München, software development