PHYS 4100/GEOL 4550/5550
Physics of the Earth
I. Introduction -- dimensional analysis, units, parameterization of
earth structure and properties.
II.Seismology: Kinematics -- travel times, velocities, earth structure, radially symmetric structure, 3-D structure and tomography.
274. seismogram reading
374 seismogram reading and velocity inversion
III. Seismology: Dynamics -- earthquake and explosion sources, magnitude
moment tensors and focal mechanisms, plate motions
274: graphical representation of fault plane solutions
374: graphical representation of fault plane solutions; far-field representation of seismic sources, including force-double couple as a gradient of 3-D delta function dotted into moment tensor
III. Gravity -- density distribution of the earth, isostasy
274. gravity anomaly interpretation; estimates of root depth
374. gravity anomaly interpretation; estimates of root depth and spherical harmonic representation of potential
IV. Geothermometry -- heat flow of the earth, temperature distribution (geotherm), thermal structure of mid-ocean ridges and trenches, whole mantle convection.
274. heat flow measurements and simple estimates of thermal history from diffusivity values
374. heat flow measurments and solutions of diffusion equation
V. Geomagnetism -- magnetization of rocks, magnetic field of the earth and its secular variation, dynamo theories, core formation and structure
274. paleomagnetism and secular variations
374. paleomagnetism and secular variations; downward extrapolation from spherical harmonics and estimates of outer core flow structure