The Physics Department at the University of Connecticut is committed to providing a supportive, inclusive, and diverse environment for all students, staff, researchers, and faculty in order to realize our full potential in research, teaching, and service at UConn and beyond.
We recognize that to be successful, our scientific and educational missions must be based in respect for others, integrity, and civility. Therefore, all members of the department are expected to know and to follow all relevant University policies, including but not limited to:
For additional information, please see:
- Diversity and Multiculturalism Committee and Advisory Board Who we are, what our goals are, and whom we ask if we seek advice.
- How and where to seek help How and where to find help with a difficult situation within the department or the university.
- UConn Women in Physics Website of the professional development group of female physics graduate students & postdocs with lots of info and opportunities to meet.
- International Women's Group List of events sponsored by the Women's Group in the International Center.
- UConn Diversity Portal Learn how the university develops an inclusive community for instruction, research and outreach so vital for all its members.
- UConn Postdoc Association Link to the Postdoc association which provides connections among postdocs of different departments and offers many activities.
- Profiles of Women in Physics A series of profiles of women physicists compiled by the Amercian Physical Society.
- The Status of Women in Science and Engineering at MIT: A Video Presentation by MIT Professor Nancy Hopkins An insightful report of personal experiences at MIT shared by many women in science elsewhere.
- Family-Friendly Science The National Science Foundation announced a series of new policies to support those trying to balance parenthood with research careers.
- Women's Center The Women's Center advocates, educates, and provides support services for the achievement of gender equity at the University and within the community at large.
- Office of Faculty and Staff Labor Relations ensures compliance of University personnel actions with requirements imposed by collective bargaining agreements, employment policies and laws.
- Library Diversity Resources Learn more about the important role UConn's Libraries play to nurture a diverse campus environment.
- International Center Orientation, events, and programs for international students, postdocs, staff, and faculty including resources for living in Connecticut.
- Office of Diversity and Equity (ODE) ODE ensures compliance with non-discrimination policies, state and federal laws and regulations related to equal opportunity and affirmative action.
- National Society of Black Physicists
Website for promoting the professional well-being of African American physicists and physics students within the
scientific community and society.
National Society of Hispanic Physicists
Resources for promoting the professional well-being of Hispanic physicists
and physics students within the scientific community and society.
- APS Resources for Education and Diversity
Resources and programs offered by the American Physical Society (APS).
Science 321 (5888) 494 (2008),
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 8801 (2009)
Research finds no gender differences in math performance
disproving a stereotype encountered also in physics.
APS Mentoring Program
A guide to help physics researchers improve their mentoring skills, and to improve the research experiences of the next generation of physicists.